Applied research initially includes three centers: the community Design Resources Center, the Information Technology Resource Center, and a General Research Center. Each of the applied research centers focuses on providing research and technology services in the areas of expertise to the community. Specific, problems solving would be identified for industry and regional business with the following general characteristic:
- Short-term problem solving of roughly one-to-six months (or shorter, depending on the specific problem or task)
- Projects, where possible, would have an education and training component for student as part of the research or service process. This could be accomplished as:
- Part of a senior or “capstone” project.
- Internship for upper class students.
- Paid employment or work-study for students.