ABET Accreditation (http://www.abet.org/) which is based on years of collaboration of many professional and technical societies, verifies that a college/program meets certain predetermined standards of quality in both its product and processes. As such it is “proof that a collegiate program has met certain standards necessary to produce graduates who are ready to enter their professions” and that the graduates of that collage/program will be at least equivalent in quality of qualification and training to other graduates from fellow ABET-accredited institutes.
Benefits to Students who earn a degree from an ABET-accredited program:
- Verifies that the quality of the educational experience you’ve received meets the standards of the profession.
- Increases and enhances employment opportunities.
- Permits and eases entry to a technical profession through licensure, registration, and certification.
- Establishes eligibility for many federal student loans, grants, and/or scholarships.
Benefits to Program When it becomes ABET-accredited:
- Has received international recognition of its quality
- Promotes "best practices" in education
- Directly involves faculty and staff in self-assessment and continuous quality improvement processes
- Is based on "learning outcomes," rather than "teaching inputs"
- Can more easily determine the acceptability of transfer credits
The College of Computer Engineering & Science has already embarked upon the ABET Accreditation mission with a solid plan of action that is already being implemented with set milestones that have been approved by management. We envisage that by November 2013 all 3 programs within CCES shall be in a position to start the application process in earnest.