Mechanical Engineering Department, the largest in PMU, accepts successful male and female students from the PMU Preparation Year Program or other qualified male/female students into degree programs in engineering.
The classroom experience for students is highly student-centered, interactive, and communicative. Courses combine theoretical content with practical and laboratory experience. Syllabi include techniques for students to develop communication, teamwork, and leadership skills as part of an overall strategy for achieving the PMU core competencies. The curriculum is designed to be accredited by the local Saudi accreditation (NCAAA) and the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), which requires a balanced program of general education, engineering science, and design courses.
While students completing the mechanical engineering degree at PMU could certainly continue on to graduate studies, the main emphasis in the program is on the preparation of graduates for employment. Graduates from the Mechanical Engineering Department will be self-directed, motivated, technically competent professionals with strong communication skills, capable of effective teamwork and leadership
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is responsible for the operation, administration, and management of the mechanical engineering degree program, with its degree-specific and elective requirements. The department Chair oversees administration of the program and instruction of students, in addition to the relationships among faculty, students, and potential employing organizations.
Currently, the Mechanical Engineering Department has 7 full time faculty members in addition to two adjunct professors. The total number of students is around 920. The number of graduates in the academic year 2015/2016 were 84 students.
Major Subjects of Mechanical Engineering Study Plan
- Engineering Statics: How are forces transmitted to and throughout a structure?
- Engineering Dynamics: What are the velocities, accelerations and resulting forces for a system in motion?
- Solid Mechanics: Is the component strong enough to support the loads?
- Materials Science: Which material has the optimum properties?
- Thermodynamics: How does energy get converted to useful power?
- Fluid Mechanics: What is the pressure drop due to the fluid flow?
- Heat Transfer: How do you calculate heat transfer rates from temperature data? How do you predict the temperature distributions?
- Manufacturing: What manufacturing processes do you select?
- Machine Design: How do you synthesize all of the above?
- Control and Electrical Circuits: How do you integrate electronic controls into your design?
- Laboratory Methods: How do you make and interpret both thermal and mechanical measurements?
- Engineering Economics: How do you estimate manufacturing costs?
Become the top mechanical engineering department in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the gulf region in both aspects: education and research.
- Providing a high quality education at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Conducting research in selected areas of mechanical engineering
- Providing professional services such as training and consultation to the public and private sectors in the region
Senior Projects done by PMU ME students
Visits of PMU ME students to the local Industries
Visits of Different Delegates to Mechanical Engineering Labs
Affiliations of PMU ME Students with professional societies (Student Chapters)
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
- ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning)
- SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers)